PainWISE Pain Education Program
Become pain wise! PainWISE is about understanding pain, so you can overcome it.
Finally, an evidence-based education course that gives you the tools to live and feel better.
Are you ready to feel better & move more easily with less pain?
Does pain affect your enjoyment of life?
- Are you frustrated by the lack of solutions and not knowing what works and what doesn’t?
- Do you feel like you have tried everything including physical therapies, complementary and medical treatment with little result? Or like you are on a roundabout with no way off?
- Do you suffer from sleep disturbance, anxiety, depression or fatigue?
- Are you feeling isolated from friends and family because of your pain?
- Do you feel fed up and hopeless about your life in pain?
Chronic pain seeps into all aspects of daily life, leaving you feeling like you can’t live life to the fullest. It can drain your energy, impact your concentration and work and affect your relationships with those you love.
Isn’t it time to move beyond pain and suffering?
When nothing else you have tried is working and you feel like you are on a pain roundabout with no way off, this program is a way through. The PainWISE program takes you through simple but fundamental processes that can give you back your quality of life.
PainWISE is an online pain education program purpose designed to help you better manage your pain. PainWISE is not just about medicines, this 4-week course helps you understand your pain, gives you the tools to take control of your pain, helps you to reduce reliance on medications and get back into life. PainWISE will help you to:
Join our PainWISE community
Get access to our community PainWISE facebook page for inspiration, up to date pain tips & information and strategies you can put into place to help overcome pain.
PainWise can help to improve quality of life and reduce pain in many pain related conditions including:
Over 4 sessions PainWISE covers the following topics:
Starting with an understanding of the pain system and what you can do to influence it puts you back in the driving seat. But you don’t have to do it alone. PainWISE facilitator Ananda Mahony supports your journey towards recovery, providing live sessions each week and ample time to engage in how understanding the neuroscience of pain can help you.
Are you ready to get back into life, feel better and move more freely?
The PainWISE 4-week program includes
Leading up to the course, you will fill out an extensive pain assessment, providing you with results that are easy to understand and indicate what areas are contributing to pain persistence including factors such as stress, mood changes, movement patterns and thinking about pain. Pain is assessed from a holistic mind-body perspective, which allows you (and/or you and your practitioner) to build a personalised pathway to moving past pain.
Find out the root cause of your pain
This session introduces you to the key concepts of the PainWISE program and can even provide relief from pain.
- In the first session you will understand the science that explains why knowing about pain can help relieve pain.
- You will see how pain is created and how your mind, body, brain and nervous system all contribute to maintaining pain.
- Establish what factors contribute to your pain and goals to help you start to move out of persistent pain.
- Let go of fear about pain, helping you to re-engage back into movement, friendships and the important things in life.
- Shift beliefs that have contributed to sustaining pain and move your attention towards a focus on moving beyond pain.
- Specifically, you will learn about movement planning and pacing to reduce danger perception along with safe movement strategies you can apply to help prevent re-injury.
- You will be provided with tools to help self-monitor movement strategies in place and develop a flare up plan
- Understand the foods to eat plentifully and those to eat occasionally to help reduce inflammation as well as pain persistence and severity.
Sleep, pain medicines and your pain
Sleep and pain are intimately connected, with pain being an issue, interrupting sleep and poor sleep leading to increased pain severity. The importance of sleep cannot be underestimated. Addressing sleep issues and using key strategies to promote good quality sleep can help reduce levels of pain.
Understanding your pain medicines is key to effective use and also to managing the impact of regular medication, helping you to manage your pain more effectively, while you are putting into place other pain-relieving strategies.
The powerful effects of mindfulness and relaxation
This session will challenge ways of thinking about pain, providing new pathways to calm your brain and nervous system for pain relief.
- You will experience mindfulness techniques and have access to resources that help relax and wind down nervous tension in the body and mind.
- Find a place of emotional calm and deep physical relaxation
- Build stress resilience and have tools to draw on whenever needed